Probably like a lot of other people, I am often struck with random invention epiphanies. I’m not looking to become an inventor, however. I just wish these things would exist. E.g.,
- About 10 years ago, I wrote to Martha Stewart and suggested she create an app that offered simple recipes for people who have only 4-5 things in their pantry (a protein, a condiment, a starch, and maybe a spice). I still haven’t seen that app but there seem to be a lot of things like it… like Cookbrite… which appears to have gone under :(.
- A few years ago, I wrote to Reid Hoffman requesting a mobile version of LinkedIn that alerted you when you were close to a 1st or 2nd connection (useful at networking events).
Anyway, I have something new that I wish existed. I think Glassdoor and maybe Indeed should partner up and create a “Find your best-fitting job”. As a user, you would have to answer a battery of questions — similar to a dating app:
- How much do you need to earn?
- Where do you want to live?
- How long do you want your commute to be?
- Rank the following: money, time, appreciation, impact
- What kind of colleagues do you get along best with?
- On a scale of 0-10, what’s your risk tolerance?
- Etc, etc
Then the app combs through all of its available jobs, knowledge of company culture, your background, interests, etc. and sends you a ranked list of the best-fitting jobs for you at that moment (with a ‘confidence’ score that measures fit). That list would change from week to week, depending on what is available — similar to a dating app. Maybe there is a swiping left/right thing to apply, but for me, the main purpose would be to get an unbiased opinion on best-fitting jobs.
Can someone please invent this?